Permits & Licenses


How do I become a wildlife rehabilitator?
If you are interested in training to become a wildlife rehabilitator, the best way is to volunteer at a local wildlife rehabilitation center and obtain the necessary experience and appropriate applications. Most states regulate the rehabilitation of wild animals by requiring people who handle wild animals to hold a permit or license. The State of Maryland restricts this permit to temporary housing and treatment necessary to prepare an animal for release.

For detailed information on Wildlife Rehabiliator Permits, go to:

Wildlife Rehabilitator Permit/License

For detailed information on regulations regarding Rehabilitation permits, go to:

Rehabilitation Permits

For detailed information on Wildlife Permits & Licenses in general, go to:

Wildlife Permits & Licenses



Handling endangered animals, such as eagles or peregrine falcons, requires special permits which are required from these agencies – DNR (Dept. of Natural Resources) and USFWS (U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service).

The State of Maryland does not allow wildlife rehabilitators to keep any wildlife on a permanent basis.